March 30, 2011

Welsh Cakes for a Royal Wedding

Canada is in the Commonwealth and, even though we have had our our own constitution fully in place since 1982, we still acknowlege the Queen as our head of state - which means she is on our coins, our twenty dollar bills, and on special Royal occasions, our stamps. We have a Prime Minister, not a President, and a Queen's representative called the Governor General who resides in our capital city, Ottawa.  The Queen calls Canada her 'home away from home' (after Balmoral Castle, I'm sure) and Prince William and Kate Middleton have taken us up on our offer to host them for nine days of their honeymoon tour. Of course, much of the country is pretty excited about that and many will even show up to see them in person.

When I was a child I watched the Queen's televised annual Christmas message with my parents and found I was interested in the doings of her family. My dad's mom, whom we called Nana, had a real love for the Royal Family.  According to her my Great-Nana, who had come to Canada from London, had the same tartan as the Queen Mother, although I was never able to figure out what that meant to my family.  My Nana brought us souvenirs of Charles and Diana's wedding when she visited one summer.  We watched Charles and Di's wedding on television and when baby William was born, my Nana sent me a collectible spoon commemorating the great event. When I visited my sisters in Winnipeg the summer I turned eighteen, we went to see Prince Andrew and his bride Sarah Ferguson on their honeymoon tour.  They looked like very normal people, and I was, I admit, a little disappointed. Perhaps I thought they would glow or something.  When my daughter, Emma the horse lover was little, she saw a picture of Queen Elizabeth riding a horse and decided she was alright.  Emma even wrote her a letter that said, "Dear Queen Elizabeth,  I like horses, too!"  Unfortunately, I forgot to mail it.  I turned into a bit of a Royal watcher after my Nana got me started, and therefore, can be found skimming through Hello! Canada Magazine when in the supermarket checkout line or reaching for Majesty in the orthodontist's waiting room, rather than O Magazine or Prevention. 

So, being the Monarchist that I seem to find myself, I was a bit put out when listening to an interview with an American historian on CBC Radio the other day, when she said to the interviewer:  "So, I know you all have this thing with your ex-queen, like you all get excited when she's going to go to Banff of something like that."

The interviewer, Brent Bambry, sort of laughed uncomfortably and said, "Ex-Queen?  Do you know something I don't know?" 

The historian said, "Okay, your sort-of queen.  But you must admit, the whole relationship between Canada and the monarchy is ridiculous."

Bambry quickly changed the subject, most likely in an effort to calm those listeners who were probably already calling or emailing the station to protest, and asked her about her recent book on the annexation of Hawaii (which once had a monarchy, by the way) by the United States.  I thought the historian was quite rude, but more so, ignorant, about Canada's long, and in the words of our present Prime Minister Stephen Harper, "loyal and affectionate relationship" with Queen Elizabeth II and her predecessors.  If I had been so motivated to call the CBC, it would have been to complain about their guest not doing her homework.  As far as I know, our relationship to the Monarchy has never been the cause of any major strife, and in fact, the only reason my beautiful province of British Columbia is part of Canada is because Queen Victoria's governor James Douglas hopped to it and pronounced it Crown Land before the U.S. could annex it during the Cariboo Gold Rush.  (We screwed up over Alaska, and lost it, but that is a whole other long story.)  I know the historian interviewed does not represent the sentiment of the U.S. as a whole.  Plenty of Americans have great respect for the Royal Family, and treated Lady Diana as one of their own.

Banishing thoughts of scornful, mocking historians to the recesses of my mind, I was wondering what title the Queen would confer on Prince William and Kate when they are married a month from now.  According to my research ( ten minutes spent looking around on various royal-watcher websites), whatever title the Queen gives them on their wedding day, once Prince Charles becomes King, William will inherit the title Prince of Wales from his father and Kate will be Princess William of Wales, or something like that. In any case, I am looking forward to viewing the whole thing on television, though my family will tease me unmercifully for it.  Able to partake in neither the Royal Wedding Fruitcake nor the famous Chocolate Biscuit Cake because my 1987 within-ten-meters viewing of Andrew and Fergie was not enough of a connection be warrant an invitation to Westminster Abbey for Will and Kate's wedding, I will most likely commemorate the occasion with a pot of Earl Grey tea and a plate of Welsh cakes, a recipe I found years ago and make a few times every spring for my family.  Even if they don't care too much about the Royal Wedding, my family will enjoy the cakes, which are the size of a cookie, the texture of a scone, and the flavour of a delicate fruitcake. 


I include the recipe for Welsh Cakes here, in honour of the future Prince and Princess of Wales, in case there are others out there who would like to join me in making them.  They can be served with cheese, jam or butter or rolled in sugar when hot.  They really are good!  By the way, I won't be seeing Will and Kate when they come to Canada.  They are snubbing Vancouver in favour of Nunavut, but that's okay.  Judging from previous experience, I think I almost prefer to view my Royalty at a distance...or on TV.  Will and Kate, best of luck. I'm pulling for you. 

Welsh Cakes

2 cups all purpose flour (not self-raising)  (500 ml)
1/2 cup granulated sugar  (125 ml)
2 teaspoons baking powder  (10 ml)
1/2 teaspoon salt  (2 ml)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (1 ml)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon  (1 ml)
1/2 cup butter, margarine,  lard or even solidified coconut oil ( but you'd need to experiment with it)  (125 ml)
1/2 cup currants  (125 ml)
1/4 cup mixed candied citrus peel (or just the grated peel of a lemon or orange)  (50 ml)

1 egg
1/3 cup milk or substitute (soy, almond, rice, coconut, etc. milks)  (75 ml)
1/4 teaspoon almond flavouring (optional)  (1 ml)

Using large bowl, put flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon and stir together well.  Cut in butter until crumbly.  Stir in currants and peel.

Beat egg with fork.  Add egg and milk and almond flavouring (if using) to dry ingredients.  Stir into dough as for pie crust.  Roll 1/4 inch (2/3 cm) thick on floured surface.  Cut into 3 inch (7 cm) rounds with biscuit cutter.  Fry in ungreased frying pan over medium heat, letting rise a little and browning both sides.  To test pan for heat, drops of water should sizzle but not bounce around on pan.  Makes 2 dozen or more if smaller rounds are cut.

Enjoy, and happy baking! 

Cheerio,

Rebecca

The above photo of Welsh cakes is from flickr and is also featured on squidoo, where more traditional Welsh recipes can be found.  The photo of Will and Kate was taken by Ben Stansal and was borrowed from the Guardian newspaper website.

10 comments:

  1. Rebecca! I so enjoyed reading your connections/history with the Royal Family. I have great reverence/respect for them. We spent time in London when I was 18 and I enjoyed sightseeing in London SO VERY MUCH. The Royal Family was/is so ROMANTIC to me!

    I am going to try your Welsh cakes. Think we will have them when it is closer to the wedding as a sort of tribute to Prince William and Kate. They sound delicious!

    SHAME on that American historian who certainly has NO respect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fyi; the title PoWales is not hereditary. While it is only given to the heir apparent this is not a given. Cornwall is the main title, along with a fist of others, including Lord of the Isles.

    As to the rest of the post. Well, bless your little cotton socks. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill: Lucky you, getting to be in London when you were 18. Yes, I think I'm a romantic, too :)

    Vince: I suppose I should have spent more than 10 minutes on my 'research'. The website I found the info about the PoWales looked so official though! :D
    I looked down at my socks after I read your comment and saw that they were indeed little cotton-argyle-socks. (Thanks, friend)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Welsh Cakes sound like a lovely way to celebrate the Royal Wedding. I will be watching too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a cookie tin with a photo of Prince Charles and Lady Diana before their wedding. It sits on our bookshelf in the basement, a special keepsake for us. There is a soft spot for the monarchy for me too despite their antiquarian status. That recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. those cakes sound wonderful...i am rather fond of cookie and scones....not so much fruitcakes, as in the gelatinous kind found around christmas...i remember watching the royal wedding of charles and di and i am sure this one will be all the more so...the annexation papers should arive in a week or so...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wedding excitement should be fun. Can't wait to see the dress, etc.
    the Welsh cakes do looks yummy and Earl Grey is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, this post some how quickly dropped off my blog roll, but I made it here anyway. And I have several disjointed thoughts.

    I think your Canadian radio host was doing a fine job of not letting his guest embarrass herself further. What does it have to do with annexing Hawaii anyway? (Okay, secretly, I still think of her as my queen too. I mean what do I have to lose really? She costs me nothing, and can't tell me what to do, but she is still all royal and stuff.)

    I will give you Alaska, if we can have BC back. (I have the power to do that.)

    I had big plans to "attend" the nuptuals myself, staying up into the wee hours, etc. But I have somewhere I need to be later that day and with no recording device at my disposal...I am a bit beside myself.

    And, finally...I saw the picture of Welsh cakes, skimmed the list of ingredients (by weight not volume, not helpful), and thought..."fancy pancake, fussier to make." Then I saw the bit where it says, drop in hot oil. Uh, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welsh cakes! What a great way to take in the wedding. I recall watching Princess Di getting married. My Mom got me up in the wee hours of the morning so we could watch it on TV. Now I will torture my kids this time around:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks yummy! And, this American won't be snubbing the wedding! I think it's fascinating!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!